|Fort James Jackson, also known as Old Fort Jackson, has been a part of Coastal Georgia's history for nearly two centuries. Named in honor of Georgia governor and Revolutionary War soldier James Jackson, the fort is the oldest standing brick fortification in the state. Fort Jackson is also a National Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Sites. The fort is one of only eight Second System fortifications (a series of forts built prior to the War of 1812) still standing in the United States. It served as headquarters for the Confederate Savannah River defenses during the American Civil War.