|Castles of Wales
|Jeffrey L. Thomas
|Age Range: 8-18 (Grades 3-12, with parental supervision). This non-profit, educational resource website created by Jeffrey L. Thomas features photographs and/or information relating to over 400 different medieval castles of Wales. Not only will visitors be able view images of the well-known and lesser known castles, but they can also learn about the castle builders and Welsh history.
|When arriving at the site, you can read the introduction, and then use the upper text link menu to navigate through. Select “Main Menu” to easily arrive at areas of interest such as:
- Main Castle Index – Use the hyperlinked, alphabetized index of castles to quickly arrive at the castle you wish to visit.
- Complete Castle Database – provides a larger annotated list of the castles in Wales, including those that no longer remain but have been mentioned in historical records
- Castle Locator Maps – maps showing the locations of the major castles of Wales
- Historical Essays – historical overviews, the evolution of the castle in Wales, and additional essays
- Castle Builders – Discover the Welsh and Norman castle builders.
- A Timeline of Medieval Wales and A Timeline of Welsh Castles
- Castle Terminology – short definitions for terms associated with medieval castles, some of which are hyperlinked to examples
- Abbeys & Other Religious Sites in Wales – includes a hyperlinked list of holy wells, abbeys, cathedrals, priories, and churches
- Pre-Medieval & Other Historic Sites in Wales – a selection of other historical sites and monuments
- Welsh Language Pages – In an effort to preserve the ancient Celtic language of Wales, some pages are available in Welsh. There are also a few links to Welsh language sites.
- Drawings and Illustrations of Welsh Castles
And there’s so much more. This website would make an excellent resource for geography and history studies of Wales and castles.
|ClickSchooling ©Copyright 2020, All Rights Reserved, ClickSchooling
|Click here to navigate to web site