|The 1,642 acre Fort Pillow, located on the Chickasaw Bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River, is rich in both historic and archaeological significance. In 1861, the Confederate Army built extensive fortifications here and named the site for General Gideon J. Pillow of Maury County. Because of its strategic location, the fort was taken by the Union Army who controlled it during most of the war. Remains of the earthworks are well-preserved. There is a museum to tour which features historic artifacts and a free movie of the Battle of Fort Pillow. Several guided tours featuring both historical and scientific topics are available on request. Re-creation of the battle is staged annually.
Most of the interpretive programs at the park are devloped to enhance the understanding of the American Civil War as it relates to the occupation of both Confederate and Union forces at Fort Pillow. Nature and recreational programs are presented during the summer months or upon request.