|This is the former residence of the governors under the French regime, built in the 18th century. Originally a private hotel (the name "chateau" came later), it was enlarged by the Compagnie des Indes, an enterprise founded in 1717 that exercised a royal monopoly on the exporting of beaver pelts and the importing of certain textiles claimed as trading goods. The building has been a museum since 1895. Its rich, diverse collection is a singular point of contact with the history of Montreal and Quebec. Don't miss the Jardin du Gouverneur, a replica of an 18th-century New France garden, complete with cafe-terrasse.