|One of the finest remaining antebellum homes in Tallahassee is the Brokaw-McDougall House. It may be rented for weddings, receptions and other events, and the public may tour the home free of charge during the work week. When first built around 1856, the Brokaw-McDougall House was on the outskirts of town. Its original owner, Peres Bonney Brokaw, ran a prosperous livery stable business downtown, and also found time to serve in city government, the state legislature and in the Confederate cavalry. His daughter married Alexander McDougall, a recent immigrant from Scotland, and members of the Brokaw and McDougall families lived in the house until it was sold to the State of Florida in 1973. The house served as the headquarters for the Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board until June 1997. It is currently under the management of the City of Tallahassee. The Board serves as an advocate for historic preservation in Florida's capital city. Architecturally, the house is an outstanding Classical Revival building with a strong Italianate influence. The formal gardens were laid out in the early 1850s, prior to the construction of the main house. They were restored as a Bicentennial project of the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs. The public is welcome to tour this gracious old landmark.