|When you get to the site, you’ll see a picture of a classroom. Roll your cursor over the items in the picture to see what each one reveals. Then, simply click on an item to access the contents including:
Keep clicking around to see all the treasures hidden in the virtual classroom. Don’t miss the information stored in the “file cabinets” or the “art chest drawer” (located under the terrapin). Check out the date calculator by clicking on the calendar or view the painting on the easel.
- Bookcase — Start with an overview. What was the Mughal Empire? Who formed it? What area did it cover? When did it begin and how long did it last? Be sure to click on the bookcase and then select individual books to learn all about various emperors and more! To turn the pages, you will need to click the corner of a page and drag it to the opposite side of the book. To jump to the table of contents, you will need to click just below the book. While you are looking at the individual books, there is a small picture of a bookcase in the top right corner of your screen so that you can easily go back to select another book; if you are finished reading, you can always click on the word “Home” at the bottom of the screen to return to the virtual classroom. (Note: In the book on Akbar, page 4 is missing, replaced by page 11. But that doesn’t detract much from the story; just insert the words “ruling briefly,” turn to page 5, and resume reading.) In addition to plenty of fascinating history, there are also some interactive games hidden inside the books! (Hint: If you are looking for games, try the book about coins.)
- Coin Cabinet (located on the top of the bookshelf) — Coins reveal a lot about a country including who was in power when they were minted, and a bit about the values and beliefs of the nation. Open all the drawers in this cabinet to learn what coins tell us about Mughal religions, emperors, politics, and more! Helpful Hint: Click the knob at the bottom of the drawer to close it and return to the coin cabinet.
- Warfare (or weapons cabinet, located to the right of the easel) — Try your hand at affixing the correct labels to the various implements of war. Some of them are quite ornate! A virtual magnifying glass is provided to examine the engravings, precious inlaid gems, and other intricate details. Each time you play this game, there is a different collection to label.
- Terrapin (jade turtle) — Learn about this remarkable treasure and then take the Terrapin Challenge — try to identify its species!
- Globe — Use your mouse to spin it and find capitals of various countries of the world.
DON’T MISS the VIRTUAL TOUR of the Taj Mahal by clicking on the clipboard.
There is simply too much to absorb in just one visit, so bookmark the site to return again.