Contests & Scholarships: Detail
|Contest / Scholarship||Ethel Louise Armstrong (ELA) Foundation Scholarship (for women graduate students)|
|Description:||The mission of The Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation, Inc. (ELA) is to "Change the Face of Disability on the Planet." Having been disabled by a spinal cord tumor at the age of two, I have first hand knowledge of the needs and opportunities that are available to a woman with a disability. Through ELA, we have the opportunity to offer scholarships to women with disabilities who are currently pursuing graduate degrees.
Women who have been successful in becoming ELA Scholars in the past have read all of the scholarship guidelines carefully and have completed all information requested prior to submitting the application to us for consideration. They have also given the essay portion of the application great thought and consideration.
Focus, Finish, Complete!
Good luck to you as we press on together to "Change the Face of Disability on the Planet."
ELA Scholarships are available only to women graduate students with physical disabilities who are enrolled in a college or university in the United States. These scholarships are awarded on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis. Scholarships range between $500 and $2,000.
|Sponsor:||The Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation, Inc. (ELA)|
|Sponsor's Goals:||The mission of The Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation, Inc. (ELA) is to "Change the Face of Disability on the Planet."|
|P R I Z E S|
|Total # of Prizes:|
|R E Q U I R E M E N T S|
|For Residents of:|
|Other Requirements:||Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements
(1) The student must be a woman with a physical disability.
(2) The student must be currently accepted to a graduate program working towards a Masters degree or above in an accredited college or university in the United States.
(3) The student must be active in a local, state, or national disability organization - either in person or electronically - which is providing services and/or advocacy for people with disabilities.
(4) The student must be willing, as an ELA Scholar, to network with the ELA Board of Directors and previous ELA Scholarship recipients on our listserv. This will enhance the ELA Scholar's support base in professional and advocacy arenas.
(5) The student must be willing, as an ELA Scholar, to update the ELA Foundation with an annual letter on September 1st of each year on her progress in her academic and/or working career.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS
If you meet the eligibility requirements above, send your completed application packet to the ELA offices. The deadline is June 1st at 5 PM Pacific Time.
A completed Application packet must include the following
(1) A completed and typed ELA Scholarship Application form with signed affidavit.
(2) A completed ELA Verification of Disability form filled out and signed by your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor or physician.
(3) An essay in 1,000 words or less, typewritten in 16-point font or larger and doubled spaced explaining, "How I Will Change the Face of Disability on the Planet”. Use of page numbers and headers and footers will be greatly appreciated.
(4) Two typed letters of recommendation from current teachers, faculty members or employers on their letterhead regarding your scholastic aptitude, leadership abilities and personal qualifications. Letters typed in 14-point font or larger will be greatly appreciated.
(5) An unofficial copy of the college/university transcript reflecting your most recent college or university academic year.
Please note that no hand written applications will be accepted.
Remember that everything counts on your application. This includes neatness, legibility, spelling, grammar, and providing the information as requested. Use of abbreviations is discouraged.
Completed applications must arrive with all pieces together in one envelope at the ELA Foundation office at 2460 North Lake Ave., PMB #128 Altadena, CA 91001 by June 1st at 5 PM Pacific Time.
The Application and Disability Verification Forms
Filling out the application form and disability verification form is easy by using the template forms located at the bottom of this section. Just follow the steps below
(1) Open the application form on your computer and type your information onto the boxes provided. When you click "submit", this will come to the ELA Foundation directly. This will let us know that we can anticipate a full application packet from you by the deadline. The complete application form with affidavit will appear on your screen ready to be printed once you click “submit”.
(2) Print your completed application form and sign the affidavit. The hard copy of your application form with signature must be sent with your completed application packet. When you sign the affidavit, you are attesting to the accuracy of all information in your application. Applications, which are not signed, will not be considered.
(3) Print out the disability verification form and take it to your physician or counselor for them to fill out and sign.
(4) Place the application form and disability verification form in the application packet along with the other required documents and send it to the ELA Foundation.
Disability Verification Form
All requested information must be included in the application packet and mailed to the ELA Foundation in the same envelope. These materials must arrive together.
It will be greatly appreciated if the pieces are not constricted in a binder or folder.
Send the application packet to
Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation, Inc.
2460 North Lake Ave.
Altadena, CA. 91001
If you want to be assured that we have received your application packet, you may include a self-addressed stamped postcard showing
Date of Receipt
We will fill it in and return it to you upon receipt of your application. No other types of inquiries about the receipt of your application will be answered.
Applications must be received in the ELA office no later than 5:00 PM on June 1st Pacific Time.
Occasionally June 1st falls on a weekend or a holiday. Please plan accordingly and get your packet to us before that date. To assure that your packet arrives in time, send it by May 20th or via Federal Express, UPS or guaranteed mail.
The ELA Foundation will award scholarships depending on academic and leadership merit. The purpose of the scholarship is to supplement financial assistance for tuition costs for female graduate students with physical disabilities. Scholarships range between $500-$2,000 and are awarded in August.
Only the recipients will be notified. Their names will also be posted on the ELA news portion of the website.
The scholarship money is contingent upon the recipient's acceptance to, or continuation in, an accredited college or university graduate program. The scholarship will be made payable to the educational institution for the recipient's tuition.
TO ASSURE THAT YOUR APPLICATION IS REVIEWED
Applications will be considered if
(1) The applicant meets the eligibility requirements.
(2) The application packet arrives in one envelope in the ELA office by 5 PM on June 1st Pacific Time.
(3) The application form is typed and the affidavit is signed.
(4) The application packet information is in English.
(5) The essay is typed in 16-point type size or larger and is double-spaced.
Applications will NOT be accepted if
(1) The applicant does not meet the eligibility requirements.
(2) The application is received in the ELA office after the deadline date and time.
(3) The application does not have all of the pieces of the packet completed, typed and sent together.
(4) Letters of recommendation, transcripts or other pieces are sent separately from the application packet.
(5) The application packet is faxed or hand delivered to the office.
(6) The application form is handwritten.
(7) The application affidavit is not signed.
(8) The essay is not typed, is not in appropriate font size, and/or is not double-spaced.
(9) Extra materials such as pictures, articles or resumes are included in the application packet.
We have answered additional questions regarding the application process in the FAQ's of the Scholarship section of this website. We would advise that you read the FAQ section before continuing the application process. If you still have a question, please direct it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Deborah Lewis at 626-398-8840.
|F O R M O R E I N F O R M A T I O N|
|Web Site:||Visit Website|